netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] I2 - Turning off NTP?

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] I2 - Turning off NTP?

  • From: Andrew Gallo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] I2 - Turning off NTP?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:47:33 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

I don't think that RPKI (origin validation) would be affected, since the crypto processing is done by an external validator. What I *think* might be a problem is full path validation, where each hop in an AS path has to sign advertisements and do crypto processing, most likely on the router. At least that's my understanding of how secureBGP is supposed to work. I'll see if I can glean anything from the SIDR working group docs.