netsec-sig - RE: [Security-WG] I2 - Turning off NTP?

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

RE: [Security-WG] I2 - Turning off NTP?

  • From: Michael Hare <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Security-WG] I2 - Turning off NTP?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 14:33:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Something I don't think has come up: I'd be worried about adding operational
steps, for example, when you do a routing engine swap, to do as something as
simple as set the time. While I understand (and have seen!) partial commits
fail to apply loopback filters, disabling NTP won't save a network in that
scenario.

In short, we haven't seen a need to try to optimize to this level (disable
NTP).

We use the following stanzas that might be problematic without highly sync'd
clocks. I also put our NTP control and transit filters far below. We have
v6 equivs in place, I omitted them for space reasons.

-Michael

==/==

bfd-liveness-detection {
authentication {
key-chain bfd-kc1;
algorithm keyed-sha-1;
}
}

security {
authentication-key-chains {
key-chain bfd-kc1 {
key 1 {
secret "$9"; ## SECRET-DATA
start-time "201x-x-x.00:00:00 -0600";
}
}
}

set system ddos-protection protocols ntp aggregate bandwidth 50
set system ddos-protection protocols ntp aggregate burst 50
set system ddos-protection protocols ntp aggregate flow-level-bandwidth
logical-interface 50
set system ddos-protection protocols ntp aggregate flow-level-detection
subscriber off
set system ddos-protection protocols ntp aggregate flow-level-detection
logical-interface on

set policy-options prefix-list NTP-Peers-v4 apply-path "system ntp server
<*.*.*.*>"

for the control plane
set firewall family inet filter <*> term allow-ntp from source-prefix-list
NTP-Peers-v4
set firewall family inet filter <*> term allow-ntp from source-prefix-list
loopback-ips-v4
set firewall family inet filter <*> term allow-ntp from protocol udp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term allow-ntp from port ntp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term allow-ntp then count :accept:udp:ntp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term allow-ntp then accept
set firewall family inet filter <*> term block-ntp from protocol udp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term block-ntp from port ntp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term block-ntp then count :discard:udp:ntp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term block-ntp then discard

for transit traffic (optional on untrusted ingress)
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-timesync from packet-length 76
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-timesync from protocol udp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-timesync from port ntp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-timesync then count
:accept:udp:ntp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-timesync then accept
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-other from protocol udp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-other from port ntp
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-other then policer
udp-ntp-other-1M
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-other then count
:count:udp:ntp-other
set firewall family inet filter <*> term ntp-other then accept

set firewall policer udp-ntp-other-1M filter-specific
set firewall policer udp-ntp-other-1M if-exceeding bandwidth-limit 1m
set firewall policer udp-ntp-other-1M if-exceeding burst-size-limit 20k
set firewall policer udp-ntp-other-1M then discard

[FIN]