netsec-sig - [Security-WG] Re: [NTAC] New Well-Known BGP Community for Blackholing

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] Re: [NTAC] New Well-Known BGP Community for Blackholing

  • From: Bill Jensen <>
  • To: "Spears, Christopher M." <>, Grover Browning <>
  • Cc: David Farmer <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] Re: [NTAC] New Well-Known BGP Community for Blackholing
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:31:45 -0500
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Would implementing RPKI help with this or would its value, in the case of blackholing, be limited to only whom you peer with?

-wej

On 7/26/16 9:19 AM, Spears, Christopher M. wrote:
On Jul 26, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Grover Browning

David,

Do you see a downside to transiting?

(Answering for myself, not David :)

IMHO, it’s an issue of trust/verification. At a fixed point in time, you may
trust a certain peer network; however you cannot control who they peer with,
or what they accept from those peers, or their peers, etc. That said, the
route will be propagated, so you can always limit the origin-as you’ll accept
this from. Of course, you’re then back to a per-peer blackhole policy, just
using a well-known BGP community.

For BLACKHOLE, everything I can think of begins with: "First, hijack the
route …”
Blackholing is the ultimate DOS - you get your target /32s blackholed, and
you’ve won. Again, trust. This is all destination-based hinting, not
source-specific ingress filtering for DDOS, and has nothing to do with route
hijacking. BCP38, anti-virus/malware, anti-botnet efforts, and bleach are
the only solutions for DDOS at the moment. Route hijacking has a mixed bag
of arguably effective tools, as well.

-Chris

-Grover

On Jul 25, 2016, at 7:55 PM, David Farmer

if experiments show it's useful I'd support it, but right now I'm skeptical
how useful transiting this would be for us.

--
Bill Jensen, Network Engineer
UW-Madison DoIT Network Services

cell: 608-576-8345