netsec-sig - RE: [Qt-security] [Security-WG] New Well-Known BGP Community for Blackholing

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

RE: [Qt-security] [Security-WG] New Well-Known BGP Community for Blackholing

  • From: Michael Hare <>
  • To: Paul Howell <>, David Farmer <>, "" <>, Grover Browning <>
  • Cc: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Qt-security] [Security-WG] New Well-Known BGP Community for Blackholing
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 13:53:09 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Paul [and others],

When/if accounting announcements becomes a priority, I'd recommend having a look at exaBGP.  I'm using it inside AS 3128 [and a small perl script, less than 100 lines] to log all RIB changes to JSON.  I currently roll up daily summaries based on this data.  Feel free to contact me off-list for any details.

As far as traffic counts being blocked, that's tricky.  On the MX line we have an output filter on the dsc0 interface which will give you per router info [and firewall filter detail level of what is dropped] but this won't give you stats per route/event.  I think we could port mirror out a real interface but we haven't wanted to burn port or forwarding capacity to do this.

-Michael