netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] DDOS Mitigation

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] DDOS Mitigation

  • From: David Farmer <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] DDOS Mitigation
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 16:28:16 -0500

Thanks for the response.

So which Arbor solution was that? Peakflow SP with TMS (Service
Provider) or APS (Enterprise) with Arbor Cloud?

If you are using Arbor Cloud primarily then, the Arbor SOC will be
manipulating the mittigation profile of those, that's one of the
things you are paying for with the Cloud service.

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Beadles, Mark A.
> Last year we did a vendor comparison for a limited portion of our network
> that included head-to-head testing between Radware and Arbor. BUT we had a
> short time frame so we weren't able to formally test the actual traffic
> cleaning effectiveness or error rates. Neither Arbor nor Radware were
> particularly keen to share their false-positive rate with us, and we did
> repeatedly ask for those figures. In the end the selection was done on
> purely economic terms.
>
> Arbor was selected for that network, and our clients who are using Arbor
> scrubbing are reporting that it works without having to tailor the
> mitigations. Another BUT, this is based on a very small number of cloud
> mitigations so there may be no significance.
>
> Mark Beadles
> Chief Information Security Officer
> OARnet

David Farmer
Email:
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 Cell: 612-812-9952