netsec-sig - RE: [Security-WG] DDOS Mitigation

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

RE: [Security-WG] DDOS Mitigation

  • From: "Beadles, Mark A." <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Security-WG] DDOS Mitigation
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 20:15:29 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23

Last year we did a vendor comparison for a limited portion of our network
that included head-to-head testing between Radware and Arbor. BUT we had a
short time frame so we weren't able to formally test the actual traffic
cleaning effectiveness or error rates. Neither Arbor nor Radware were
particularly keen to share their false-positive rate with us, and we did
repeatedly ask for those figures. In the end the selection was done on purely
economic terms.

Arbor was selected for that network, and our clients who are using Arbor
scrubbing are reporting that it works without having to tailor the
mitigations. Another BUT, this is based on a very small number of cloud
mitigations so there may be no significance.

Mark Beadles
Chief Information Security Officer
OARnet