ndt-users - Re: Getting Protocol Error.

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Getting Protocol Error.

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: Christopher Nicholas Florio <>, Jeremy Schafer <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Getting Protocol Error.
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:38:32 -0400

Chris/Jeremy;

As Charlie Brown use to say AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

Sorry for the delay, travel and meetings have kept me from getting this reply out sooner. I looked at the tcpdump traces you both sent and they show what I expect, the traffic to/from port 7123 is the initial connection where the applet is downloaded to the client. Traffic on port 3001 is the control info, where the server and client communicate to run the specific tests. Traffic on port 3003 is the data test for the middlebox test.

This test is suppose to stream data from the server to the client for 5 seconds with a limited Congestion Window. The server also tries to restrict the amount of data it dumps to the stack so the server does not queue a lot of data. Both the client and server run watchdog timers to prevent this test from running forever.

It looks like the server is failing to find the proper web100 connection ID so the limits are not being set/used. The server process sends data to the stack faster than the stack can sent it out on the network. Thus a queue builds up in the server (you should see this with a netstat -nat command) so when the 5 sec send timer expires there is still data in the queue that needs to be sent to the client. The client's watchdog timer is reached and it kills the client, while the server is still in trying to deliver the packets. Finally the server's watchdog timer goes off, and the server exits.

There are a couple of options we can take to work around this problem, and I'll experiment with them to see what works best. I'll push out a new test version soon and let you know when it's ready.

Regards;
Rich;

PS thanks for the script patch, I really appreciate patches and updates that help make the tool better for the community.