ndt-users - Re: Re: MDNDT: few questions

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Re: MDNDT: few questions

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Re: MDNDT: few questions
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:27:02 -0400 (EDT)

> > From this I can see that there might be some buttons or tabs that
> > would control the macro behavior of the NDT system. So it might
> > say
> > "Test for common problems"
> > "Test for NATs"
> > "Test for Firewalls"
> > etc
>
> The requirements for the human interface are:
>
> 1. Ease of running tests
>
> 2. Ease of interpretation of results
>
> 3. Quick completion
>
> Having user-configurable parts contribute towards goal 3, goes
> mildly against goal 2, and very strongly against goal 1. I'd say it
> should just probably do all magic automatically without need for
> user to select any boxes or tabs or anything. Just waiting for all
> the test to complete (as long as it is approximately known how long
> to wait) should be easier than having to select the right boxes to
> answer one's questions.

The basic test suite will start after pressing the 'Start' button. The
user will not need to select anything in order to achieve the results
as in the current version of the NDT.

User will need to configure the tests only if he/she wants to tests
some aspects more deeply.

> How long do all the tests run?

The default test suite should run about 30 seconds. If there are some
problems on the link, this time might be a little longer (but still
less than 1 minute).

I think that all the tests (default + middlebox detection + other)
should take no more than 2 minutes.

Jakub.