ndt-users - MDNDT: few questions

Subject: ndt-users list created

MDNDT: few questions

  • From: jeremian <>
  • To:
  • Subject: MDNDT: few questions
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:35:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi.

First of all, I would like to tell you that NDT project is under
intensive development.

The newest NDT server is available on the following address:
http://web100.internet2.edu:7123/

The newest sources can be obtained from the SourceForge CVS repository
('mdndt' branch).

Currently we are working on the new NDT protocol design. Here is the
fragment of the mail from Richard about how it could look like:

/-----------------------------------------------------------------\

1) the user connects and the NDT system runs a basic series of tests
that look for some fundamental problems.

2) if no problems are found, a good test report is generated

3) if some problem is suspected, then the user receives a report and
more test options become available.

From this I can see that there might be some buttons or tabs that
would control the macro behavior of the NDT system. So it might say
"Test for common problems"
"Test for NATs"
"Test for Firewalls"
etc

The user could select one or more tests from this list (with some
default). It could also use some additional logic, say the test for
common problems failed so it automatically tests for firewalls that
are blocking the client.

\-----------------------------------------------------------------/

What do you think about this idea? What tests would you like to see in
the new NDT versions? I will be grateful for any comments /
suggestions / ideas.

Do you think that it's acceptable to use new port numbers (different
than default 3002, 3003) by the new tests? Or maybe old port numbers
should be reused (like port 3003 in the Middlebox test and S2C
throughput test)? The strong argument against the new port numbers is
the need to reconfigure firewalls.

I have also a question about multi-test mode. Are you using it?

Yours sincerely,
Jakub.