ndt-dev - RE: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

RE: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem

  • From: Don Slaunwhite <>
  • To: Jordan McCarthy <>
  • Cc: "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 17:38:54 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-CA, en-US

Hi Jordan,

It seems we may have multiple email threads going on about this issue. I'll
respond with details on the other thread. 8) But to help clarify for the
people here.

We were running a Windows 2012 Server as the Amazon VM. At first we chose
one with "Low" network bandwidth, but we also created another with "High"
network bandwidth. On those Windows machines we have testing software which
runs our IPT test through the Chrome browser. It basically just goes flash
then websocket etc. The times between runs is roughly 30 seconds and we let
it run overnight.

We did see slower values coming from the Toronto site, so we ran the same
tests to Calgary and Montreal. Those sites gave us much better results (in
both Flash and Websocket) but still Flash was significantly faster. I'm not
sure if it is our implementation of the Flash/websockets client or what.

For instance in Montreal

Flash Upload - 304Mbps
Flash Download - 220Mbps
Websocket Upload - 45Mbps
Webscoket Download - 230Mbps

And in Calgary

Flash Upload - 616Mbps
Flash Download - 542Mbps
Websocket Upload - 44Mbps
Webscoket Download - 472Mbps

So even on other servers we are definitely seeing a degradation of Websocket
upload. Now perhaps it truly is something with the VM. But even then it seems
a bit odd. We have no firewall/anti-virus on. What sort of things have you
seen gone wrong with VM testing?

We did do some external real life testing via our employee's home systems
(not through VPN etc) and we still saw slower Websocket speeds. (But not
anything of this magnitude of difference.)

For example:

(about 200 tests from around Ottawa)

20.8 Mbps - Flash Chrome Download Avg
3.034 Mpbs - Flash Chrome Upload Avg
21.2 Mpbs - Websocket Chrome Download Avg
2.56 Mpbs - Websocket Chrome Upload Avg

So not as big a difference, but still large enough to wonder. Then combined
with the VM testing above.

Do you have a dataset from your testing that we could look at? Honestly if
you have a good sample size of data that we can feel comfortable with, then
we can start looking at what exactly on our implementation is going wrong.
(if it is indeed our implementation.)

Thanks,
Don