ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem

  • From: Jordan McCarthy <>
  • To: Don Slaunwhite <>
  • Cc: "" <>,
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 15:53:16 -0400

Hi everybody,
We've also been monitoring the performance characteristics of
the WebSockets client closely, both before and after the client's
official publication in NDT 3.7.0, and we haven't been able to
reproduce the disparity that CIRA has encountered. We've run
Websocket-based tests from several different browser combinations on a
variety of operating systems and consumer-grade connections, during
various times of the day, and haven't encountered any appreciable
differences (within any given machine/connection/time of day
combination). Additionally, for the sake of thoroughness we've run
C-client tests from the same connections, and the numbers we got from
the C client runs were pretty comparable with what we were getting out
of all of the Websockets tests.

Don: could you tell us a little bit more about your testing
methodology? I'm guessing you spun up a Linux VM, and used
X-forwarding to get access to an instance of the browser running on
the VM?

Off the top of my head that sounds reasonable, but we've
definitely seen weird artifacts introduced by running tests out of VM
environments, so perhaps that could be throwing things off somewhat.

Jordan

Jordan McCarthy
Open Technology Institute @ New America
Public Key: 0xC08D8042 | 4A61 3D39 4125 127D 65EA DDC2 BFBD A2E9 C08D 80
42