ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem

  • From: Jordan McCarthy <>
  • To: Don Slaunwhite <>, Richard Carlson <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] Websocket Client - Upload Speed Problem
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:11:24 -0400

Hi everybody,
Just a quick update: In line with Rich's suggestion, we're currently
in the midst of running a secondary battery of tests on the Websockets
client on dedicated hardware: two high-end boxes on a very quiet 1
Gigabit network, using the C client as our reference implementation
(we're not running tests across the public Internet, because we want
to remove as many variables as possible to get as clean a performance
profile as we can -- and any given link across the Internet is likely
to have a fair bit of congestion/variability).

We don't have any conclusive findings yet (we've only run tests on the
unrestricted 1 Gig pipe so far, which is clearly not representative of
most real-world links). But even at that level we're not seeing any
disparities in the range of the ones observed in the AWS test. So
maybe there is some bizzare interaction effect stemming from running
the test across an AWS interface? Anyway, we'll send along updates as
soon as we have them!

I'm not at all sure why only s2c results are being displayed, to the
client, but we definitely have the full c2s data in the datastore (in
should show up about 24 hours after a test is run). So perhaps look
for more details there?

Thanks,
Jordan

Jordan McCarthy
Open Technology Institute @ New America
Public Key: 0xC08D8042 | 4A61 3D39 4125 127D 65EA DDC2 BFBD A2E9 C08D 80
42