ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] Final(?) Release Candidate for NDT 3.7.0

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] Final(?) Release Candidate for NDT 3.7.0

  • From: Will Hawkins <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] Final(?) Release Candidate for NDT 3.7.0
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 16:29:30 -0400

First of all, Jordan is awesome. Second, and as he said, he did that
work on adding platform detection for this very reason: we wanted to
prevent people from running the Flash client on platforms that we did
not think would provide accurate results.

More inline.

On 04/06/2015 03:59 PM, Aaron Brown wrote:
> Hey Jordan,
>
>> On Apr 6, 2015, at 3:40 PM, Jordan McCarthy
>> <>
>> wrote:
>>
> Completely agreed. In fact, this was the very reason that we
> added environment-detection code to the flash client that (by
> default) completely prevents it from running on anything except
> the environments you mentioned, and shows a warning message
> explaining the problem:
> http://files.opentechinstitute.org/~mccarthy/flash-error.html.
>
>> Ok, that information isn’t getting to the javascript client then.
>> Is there a nice way to call and check if it’s on a bad platform?

Jordan is definitely your point-person on this because he did the
implementation. IIRC, there is a JS callback exposed by the Flash
client that will detect a bad platform. He can weigh in definitively!

> I am quite concerned about Jeremy's reports, however, because they
> do indeed point to yet another, hitherto unseen cause of
> performance disparities between Flash and everything else. And it
> is true that there has clearly been considerable historical
> instability in the Flash runtime's treatment of socket I/O (as
> evidenced by the fact that the older versions of the runtime used
> by *NIX return such horrible numbers).
>
>> Would it be possible for you to work with Jeremy to figure out
>> what’s going on? If we’re seeing poor results on the only known
>> good platform, that’s not a good sign…

I will dig up the technical results of the analysis on where and when
Flash worked and failed. Beyond that, I'd be happy to help track down
these new issues but I cannot take the lead (due to time constraints
on my end). Other than that, I will do whatever I can to help!

Will