ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] Re: Commits to ndt

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] Re: Commits to ndt

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: Thomas Gideon <>
  • Cc: "Jeff W. Boote" <>, , Kavitha Kumar <>
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] Re: Commits to ndt
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:13:57 -0400

Hey Thomas;

Not to quibble (since this has already generated far more email and panic than is healthy on a Friday afternoon), but it appears you backed out, then are still checking into trunk and not the fresh branch.

In general "little changes" into the trunk are ok, "little" is a tough word to quantify though. Single checkins to fix a typo for example, or documentation, I would call these things "little". Based on the checkins you are making it looks like some things were untested (e.g. you missed a semi) so that makes me a little anxious. We don't want the trunk to be in a broken state, even if it is the bleeding edge. For now, just continue. Finish it off, alert us when done. Kavitha: be sure you suck up these recent changes into your branches if you haven't done so.

The rule of thumb that we use with all of our other repos is to follow the principal of least surprise:

- Single checkin to trunk w/ nice descriptive log message = good
- Multiple checkins to trunk without clearing it = bad, even with log messages
- Branches = good
- Branches where the changes are being moved back in to the trunk before a release = good, if you clear it with everyone

Sound good for ground rules? Jeff will dig up a more formal treatment and pass it around if there is any confusion.

Thanks;

-jason

On 8/5/11 1:54 PM, thus spake Thomas Gideon: