megaconference - Re: [Megacon] Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware

Subject: Megaconference

Re: [Megacon] Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware

  • From: Ben Fineman <>
  • To: "Leonard, Mark" <>, "" <>
  • Cc: David Devereaux-Weber <>, 'Rusty Presley' <>, Paul Bonnett <>
  • Subject: Re: [Megacon] Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 18:01:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Mark,

Regarding quantitative tests, you might check latency and jitter network stats, but those should be pretty similar assuming they're on the same network. A more interesting test might be "net total" latency, that is, delay from lens to screen, which includes codec delay. The only way I have ever measured this is with EchoDamp (which really measures audio latency), but others on the list might have other suggestions of how to measure.

There are plenty of "qualitative" tests, but that would yield too long of an email for this Friday afternoon :) And I'm sure you already have some good ideas in that regard.

Best,
Ben