mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Valid constructor for BasicSAMLMessageContext

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Valid constructor for BasicSAMLMessageContext

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Valid constructor for BasicSAMLMessageContext
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:28:31 -0400

Well, those are Java 5 generics parameters. How you parameterize for
instantiation depends on the SAML protocol and profile you're
implementing. You can see examples of how these message contexts get
used in an IdP in the profile handlers in the Shibboleth 2.x IdP:

http://svn.middleware.georgetown.edu/view/java-idp/branches/REL_2/src/main/java/edu/internet2/middleware/shibboleth/idp/profile/

In that code usually there is actually a specific concrete subclass of
that the SAML message context which locks those types down for a
particular protocol/profile, but you don't strictly speaking have to do
it that way.

For an SP the inbound/outbound types are typically going to be reversed
from those of the IdP, obviously, e.g. outbound might be AuthnRequest or
AttributeQuery, inbound would be Response.

The name identifier type is going to vary based on the version of SAML,
e.g. NameIdentifer for SAML 1, NameID for SAML 2.