mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Unable to unmarshall message; unsupported attribute?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Unable to unmarshall message; unsupported attribute?

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Unable to unmarshall message; unsupported attribute?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:50:33 -0400

Bailo, John wrote:
> I also had to put the endorsed jars in my jboss \lib\endorsed folder.
>
> Note to jboss users: just putting the endorsed classes in $JAVA_HOME is
> not sufficient.

Yes, most Java runtimes are going to default the java.endorsed.dirs
system propery to jre/lib/endorsed, but servlet and application
containers usually have their own special location for that, often
implemented by setting that system property in their startup script.

> Now my decode method throws
>
> 14:29:44,975 ERROR [BaseMessageDecoder] Encountered error unmarshalling
> message from its DOM representation
> org.opensaml.xml.io.UnmarshallingException: Unable to unmarshall
> XMLSecSignatureImpl

You're trying to unmarshall something that contains a ds:Signature and
the Apache XML-Security xmlsec lib doesn't like it. The ds:Signature
XML is probably syntatically invalid or incomplete (missing required
data). If you want to post that, we can diagnose, but it will probably
be a pretty obvious issue with the XML, you can probably figure it out
if you look at it closely.