mace-opensaml-users - RE: OpenSAML 2.0 C++

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: OpenSAML 2.0 C++

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: OpenSAML 2.0 C++
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:03:01 -0500

> But now I'm wondering how can I call this dll from .NET c#. Can I use
> the classes, I've asked around and everybody I speak to says the only
> thing you can reach is the functions, not the classes themselves.

If that's true. then it's probably of no use to you. It's C++, not C. There
are no simple functions, or not very many anyway.

> If that is true then what basis of SAML2.0 support will this library be
> providing, in what languages will it be useable, is it possible to
> create a website in <insert favorite programming language here> and use
> the OpenSAML2 api's to do Web Single Sign on easily?

My goal is to support systems programming, not applications programming, and
that means C/C++ and Java. I use C++ instead of C because I like it, and C++
makes complex code much simpler to maintain than C does. It isn't meant to
be usable in other languages.

You would have to wrap all of this code in a much simpler API in C to make
it usable inside scripting languages. I suspect you should look at zxid.org
instead.

Shibboleth already supports Web SSO on top of this code, but it runs inside
the web server, not on a web site. It doesn't provide applications with an
API that requires any specific language.

The new library is capable of supporting Web SSO with much less additional
code (mostly configuration and session mgmt) but that doesn't mean I think
that's a good approach. It leads to brittle applications that can't adjust
to different kinds of identity middleware.