mace-opensaml-users - Re: SAML1.x or SAML2.x?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: SAML1.x or SAML2.x?

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: "Pantvaidya, Vishwajit" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: SAML1.x or SAML2.x?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:01:07 -0400

Pantvaidya, Vishwajit wrote:
Sorry for posting this here but was a very quick one - As I go through
Shibboleth docs, I am wondering if, presuming we use Shibboleth for our
> SP, and I send a Shib auth request to the IdP, would the IdP need to be
Shib-aware to be able to handle the request.

Yes. Tom tried to explain that SAML 1.1 doesn't include an AuthnRequest message. Most deployments of SAML just hack around the problem somehow. Shibboleth just formalized the hack so that if people want to interop with it, they know how.

It's possible to push from the IdP, but you don't do it from the SP side. You need to build a portal page running somewhere with links that trigger the IdP->SP flow you want. That page is generally proprietary to each SAML 1.1 IdP because that step isn't part of the spec.