mace-opensaml-users - RE: if must use JDK1.3, suggested alternatives?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: if must use JDK1.3, suggested alternatives?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Mintoo C'" <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: if must use JDK1.3, suggested alternatives?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:27:55 -0400

> However, I believe opensaml (with small changes) is very much
> compatible with jdk1.3.
> I too had to go down this path and I have a saml 1.1 implementation
> running on jdk1.3, xerces rebuild, jaxp 1.2 (for jdk 1.3),
> jsse1.0.3_03 (for jdk1.3) and I think probably had to use dom2.

This shouldn't be necessary now. JAXP 1.3 includes DOM3 support. I have no
intention of supporting anything prior to JAXP 1.3, so that's why I asked.

I believe the only dependency is probably in the SSL code, and I can
probably bypass that.

(Not to say that I think this is a good idea. JDK 1.3 was EOL'd by Sun.
Using it is just plain bad IT policy.)

Anyway, Cole, my suggestion to start with would be to try pulling cvs and
see what breaks on 1.3.1. The JAXP stuff is in endorsed/ and should just
work on 1.3.1. You'll probably need the JSSE code that was added to 1.3.1,
and then you can see what breaks.