ivclibrarians - RE: volunteers to develop IVC "best practice" resources?

Subject: K-20 librarians interactive video conferencing

RE: volunteers to develop IVC "best practice" resources?

  • From: "Ellen Ervin" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: volunteers to develop IVC "best practice" resources?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:18:37 -0600

Judy,

First let me introduce myself, my name is Ellen Ervin and my partner, Dr. Lynne Beachner and I run a new start up organization.  The mission of Connected-4-Learning is to develop lifelong learning opportunities by expanding the use of video conferencing.

I was able to attend first organizational meeting of IVC Librarians in Kansas City KS last October.  The original discussion was based on the news that the Greater Kansas City area would be the first in the nation to have Google gigabit broadband.  This broadband would be installed in libraries and schools on both the Kansas and Missouri sides of the state line.

At that time, I expressed interest in assisting libraries in developing a robust video conferencing network.  We envisioned program development as well as a website with video conferencing resources dedicated to libraries across the US.  As it turns out, the interest in the Kansas City area, though still there seems to be in a holding pattern until the broadband is installed.  The current target date is sometime in the 2nd quarter of this year.

Connected-4-Learning is moving ahead with our plans of developing a framework of libraries to expand the use of video conferencing resources that would be available to staff, but patrons as well.  I am not sure if you are aware of the Canadian network called the Rise Network.  This is an organization of approximately 80 libraries that share resources by video conferencing.  Though their initial grant funding has ended, it is still functioning and providing video conferences to member libraries.  This is a model, which we feel would work well for US libraries.  I would invite you to investigate the web site at www.risenetwork.ca

You mentioned a list of issues facing libraries and the adoption of video conferencing.  I could not agree more with your list, but I do know that there are solutions now available to help overcome some of these problems.  The one company that has produced a video conferencing product that easily handles the firewall issues is Lifesize Connections.  I have seen Connections easily pass through firewalls and deliver a high definition video conference.  Gone are many of the thorny problems of video conferencing.

I am a member of the IVC Librarians group due to our interest in expanding video conferencing opportunities to deliver high quality content and lifelong learning.  A robust network of libraries with a web site that would provide training, staff development and programing would be the centerpiece of what we would like to assist in developing.  Connected-4-Learning has a librarian on staff to assist us as we begin to develop the network of libraries.  We are willing to roll up our sleeves and get to work with guidance from the IVC group.  In short, we would like to assist in the development of IVC Best Practices.

Lynne and I will be pleased to discuss our company and vision to assist libraries.

Ellen Ervin

Managing Partner

www.connected4learning.com