grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] host subjects anyone?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] host subjects anyone?

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] host subjects anyone?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:44:24 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone used group to manage groups of hosts and to link people/groups of
people to hosts?

We do a couple of things like that.

1) We allow DNS names as subjects.

The subject database is automatically populated whenever we get
a subject that looks like a dns name and can be resolved to a ip
address. These subjects are then treated like any other, and can
be members or admins of a group. Our groups web service allows a
client to connect with a certificate. The CN from that certificate
is used to identify the subject.

2) We also use groups to augment our database of DNS 'ownership'.

We have a service that tells whether or not a netid (our generid user id)
has control of a DNS name. To add outside users to that,
for some services only, we define a group, e.g.

u:admin:dns-owner:some.dns.uw.edu

Members of that group are also considered to be the dns's 'owners'.
This way we can allow, say,
,
to manage resources
for the domain, 'some.dns.uw.edu'.