grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] host subjects anyone?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] host subjects anyone?

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] host subjects anyone?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:28:38 -0500

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Michael R. Gettes
> Has anyone used group to manage groups of hosts and to link people/groups
> of people to hosts?
>
> has anyone thought about doing this? In some sense, I am thinking about
> using hosts/machines as subjects and then augmenting them with additional
> tags in grouper.

LIGO does something like that. We use Grouper to manage groups of
users who should have access to one of our Linux clusters (we have 7
clusters world wide). If you are added to the group representing a
particular Linux cluster then your X.509 digital certificate subject
is added to an access control list that permits its use to
authenticate and login to the head node of the cluster (we use CILogon
for issuing the X.509 certificates after authenticating via our
InCommon IdP and the "grid-enabled" OpenSSH client and server).

Provisioning of accounts is handled out of band--we are not ready yet
to deploy automated provisioning of Linux cluster accounts.

Thanks,

Scott K for LIGO