grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] CAS authentication for Grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] CAS authentication for Grouper

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Baron Fujimoto <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] CAS authentication for Grouper
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 21:17:28 +0100

--On 12 October 2011 08:17 -1000 Baron Fujimoto

I'm trying to set up CAS authentication for Grouper 2.0 using Cal Poly's
contributed page as a reference:

<https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Implementing+CAS+Authentica
tion+for+Grouper>

I've run into a series of problems, though I'm not sure which if any are
dependent on others. (Apologies for the length.)

I'm getting the following exception reported in my browser when I try
to access the UI:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot forward after response has been
committed edu.yale.its.tp.cas.servlet.Login.doGet(Unknown Source)

without ever seeing our usual CAS login page, though the URL location is
reported by the browser as "https://our.cas.host/cas/login?[...]";
That looks like an error at the CAS side

I don't see anything that stands out in any of the Grouper logs.

If I subsequently reload the same UI URL, The UI displays with the URL:

<https://our.grouper.host:8443/grouper/populateIndex.do>

If I click on the "Log in" link, then the CAS login page that was not
initially seen displays as expected. However, after entering username
and password credentials, I'm redirected back to a Grouper error page with
the URL:

<https://our.grouper.host:8443/grouper/callLogin.do?ticket=[...]>

and in the grouper_debug.log:

2011-10-11 16:59:28,647: [http-0.0.0.0-8443-1] ERROR
ErrorFilter.doFilter(142) - < - 0D23BC2ADFFD138F05C2E5514F3019F7-0005 - -
- > - javax.servlet.ServletException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
Content is not allowed in prolog. yes teststaf
12345678
Staff K Teststaff
staff
uhsystem

at
edu.yale.its.tp.cas.client.filter.CASFilter.getAuthenticatedUser(CASFilte
r.java:323) at
edu.yale.its.tp.cas.client.filter.CASFilter.doFilter(CASFilter.java:248)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Applicat
ionFilterChain.java:235)

I recognize the "Content not allowed in prolog" as what our CAS server
returns for a successful authentication. i.e.: status of authentication,
UH username (uid), UH number (uhuuid, a UH unique identifier), full name,
affiliation, etc.
What version of the CAS server are you using and which 'validate'. Looks like you are passing several attributes back - which would not be supported by the 'old' casclient.jar supplied

I understand that what the Grouper CAS authentication piece wants though
is the REMOTE_USER (the uid, in our case). The example provided is based
one the GrouperJdbcSourceAdapter2 source adapter, whereas we're using the
GrouperJndiSourceAdapter ldap adapter and are using the init-params:

<init-param>
<param-name>SubjectID_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>uhuuid</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>Name_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>cn</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>Description_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>cn</param-value>
</init-param>

I assume at least one/some of my problems is that REMOTE_USER is not being
picked up properly by the CAS component and/or is not properly properly
configured as one of the subject identifiers. We use uhuuid as our
SubjectID because it is the stable unique identifier, whereas the uid is
what is I believe being returned as the REMOTE_USER. We are able to
successfully use CAS/REMOTE_USER authentication with our Shibboleth IdP
deployment, so I'm not focusing my attention there for now.
What is your searchSubjectByIdentifier definition? I think this gives you the flexibility to set an arbitrary filter to map the REMOTE_USER to the appropriate LDAP attribute.

Gary

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,
-baron
--
Baron Fujimoto