grouper-users - [grouper-users] ldappcng & capitalization

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] ldappcng & capitalization

  • From: Paul Engle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] ldappcng & capitalization
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:03:45 -0500

Greetings,
I'm running into a vexing problem with ldappcng that I think may be a bug. I'm running version 1.6.3 & provisioning into a FedoraDS server. Groups are groupOfUniqueNames and the DN of group members are stored as uniqueMember values. The problem is that at some point when the provisioner was offline, a person was manually entered into LDAP as a quick workaround. The DN string was entered as all lowercase: uid=foo,ou=people,dc=rice,dc=edu.

Ever since, when the group tries to sync via ldappcng, it fails. In the LDAP server logs, it's throwing an attribute exists error for the group object.

Running the ldappcng as a one-off diff for that group shows that it wants to do an add of "uid=foo,ou=People,dc=rice,dc=edu" and a delete of "uid=foo,ou=people,dc=rice,dc=edu" (!)

I can manually delete that uniqueMember value, and the sync works fine. BUT, the ldap server is doing some funky caching so the value that actually gets stored is still all lowercase. Grr.

I wouldn't have expected a simple case mismatch to have triggered a modification event. If that's not a bug, then I would petition that the modification order be deletes before adds to avoid hitting the attribute exists error on the ldap server.

I'm going to fight with the ldap server some more to see if I can get it to forget the lowercase value. Even manually deleteting it and re-adding it with uppercase doesn't seem to work, so I know the caching issue is not on the grouper side. I think the next step is to just delete the whole group object and sync it fresh. Any other suggestions are welcome.

-paul

--
Paul D. Engle | Rice University
Sr. Systems Administrator | Information Technology - MS119