grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Demo Video for Extracting Data from Grouper Using Talend

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Demo Video for Extracting Data from Grouper Using Talend

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Demo Video for Extracting Data from Grouper Using Talend
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 14:14:18 -0600

Richard,

I just viewed this video - nice job!

I was really pleased to hear that the ability to re-use groups was a key factor in deciding to use grouper in your room booking use case. And I'm impressed with talend.

Near the end you mentioned that you tried to use web services between talend and grouper, which worked, but didn't perform fast enough. Not surprising, when you've got a long list of rooms to ask about, each one incurring all of the web services overhead. I got the impression that if both grouper and talend could transact a batch query over a web service interface, ie, present the whole list of rooms in a single web services transaction, this might be a good way to interface them.

Do you know if talend has such batch capability in its web services support? Were you able to determine if the batch support in Grouper's non-lite web services would meet your needs?

Many thanks,
Tom

wrote:
Hi Everyone,

As a natural follow up to the video last month which showed how we
use Talend to provision student module enrolments into Grouper, we
have created a further video which demonstrates how we use Talend to
supply data from Grouper to provision role based access control to a
Syllabus plus room booking system. Control over who can book
particular rooms must be exercised based upon an individual's
position and role within the organisation.

This new video will demonstrate the extraction of data from Grouper,
bringing it together with other corporate data to produce a final
data feed in XML format, which can be used by the room booking
system.

The video can be found under "Exporting Data from Grouper using
Talend" at http://research.ncl.ac.uk/idmaps/videos.php, for the
creation of this video we have used some new video capturing software
from our last videos, which will hopefully improve the viewing
quality.

I hope that the video is of some interest, please free to get in
touch with any feedback or questions.

Many Thanks

Richard James ISS Middleware Team Newcastle University