grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] web service as source of Subject API

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] web service as source of Subject API

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Ken LAI <>
  • Cc: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] web service as source of Subject API
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:48:05 -0600

Ken,

I'm intrigued by two particular aspects of this, one technical and the other architectural. The technical one is how one should specify the security principle that will be making the subject search requests, and how a "generic" client would present the corresponding credential to the ESB or WS.

The architectural question is what to expect for responsiveness of an ESB when performing lots of subject searches, and to a lesser extent perhaps, responsiveness of a WS unless it is specifically designed for this type of usage.

Thanks for your insights,
Tom

Ken LAI wrote:
Yes, I am asking for a subject source which is a web service client.
As in my previous mail, it may be a generic DSML client and map the
seachType in sources.xml to a DSML search request. Better still, it
will be good if DSML is just a implementation of generic web service
subject source interface. We can provide our own if we need custom
web service client as subject source.

Regards,
-Ken

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Chris Hyzer
Can you please give a spec of what the sources.xml part could look like, and
what the inputs and outputs of the web service would be? And to be clear,
are you asking for a subject source which is a web service client? Or also a
web service operation in grouper WS which would host subjects? Or both?