grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.4.0 WS: Unclear error message on failed stem save

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.4.0 WS: Unclear error message on failed stem save

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.4.0 WS: Unclear error message on failed stem save
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:59:49 -0500

> I had just copied the code from the samples cargo-cult-style, which
> worked for 1.3.0. Making a user "actAs" the same user is obviously a
> bit
> pointless, so maybe the error message in this case could just point out
> that "actAs" is not required.

OK, no problem, I added a jira issue and will go this for 1.4.1:

Also, if you are using Java, and aren’t too far along, you might want to
consider taking the grouperClient jar (and grouper-client.properties config
file) as a web service client, and just using that API. It is more high
level and more likely not to break on upgrades to the server code:

e.g. to add a member to a group:

WsAddMemberResults wsAddMemberResults = new
GcAddMember().assignGroupName("aStem:aGroup").addSubjectId("12345").execute();

> I am little unclear as to how I should specify the user for my web
> client. Currently the client just imports users and groups from my
> sources of records, and I have just configured
>
> ws.testing.user
> ws.testing.pass
>
> in
> grouper-ws.properties
>
> to user GrouperSystem.
>
> What would be the preferred method for specifying the credentials for a
> functional administrative user?

Do you use Kerberos at your school? At penn we take the user/pass and
authenticate with Kerberos, which is built in to Grouper WS. Alternatively,
you can:

1. Use servlet container authentication. E.g. for tomcat, add the user/pass
to the tomcat-users.xml file, then it should work

2. Make a custom authentication class to hook into whatever authentication
your school has (or if it is generic, let me know and I can add one). E.g.
is it a bind to a an LDAP or a lookup from ldap or something?

This stuff should be explained here, but let me know if you need more info or
help:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Authentication+for+Grouper+Web+Services

Kind regards,