grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Grouper-WS: Strategies for moving groups/stems?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Grouper-WS: Strategies for moving groups/stems?

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Loris Bennett <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Grouper-WS: Strategies for moving groups/stems?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:07:18 -0500

In answer to your question 2, you could instead use the xml-export capability to export the group and then import it into the new folder. But I haven't yet tried this out to verify that subgroup or composite structure us preserved. Perhaps Gary can comment on that before I get the chance to test it.

Yes, namespace transition support is aimed at exactly this sort of scenario.

With the release of v1.4.0 in just a few weeks, we'll soon determine what will go into v1.5.0. And there may be some discussion of that at the face-to-face working group session this afternoon here at the Internet2 meeting in New Orleans. Items that I think are likely to be top contenders are audit, notification, and NTS.

Loris, and everyone else: What's your opinion about what should come next?

Thanks,
Tom

Loris Bennett wrote:
Hi,

On the roadmap the "Namespace Transition Support" is listed. I was
wondering what the status of this is and what strategies people are
using as a workaround. Specifically I am interested in how to deal which
changes in an organizational structure.

Currently I am doing the following:

1. read the organizational structure from a human resources
database
2. construct a corresponding structure of folders in Grouper
using the web services interface
3. add a standard group to each folders
4. read the user data from the HR database
5. add the users to the standard group in the appropriate
folders.
If, say, HR decides to move a group from one unit within a department to
another, that group should remain a member of the department, but should
no longer be a member of any unit-specific groups.

I would envisage doing something like:

1. create new group in the new unit
2. add members of old group to new group
3. determine memberships of old group
4. recreate memberships which need to be preserved
5. add any new memberships required
6. delete all old memberships
7. delete old group
Steps 4 and 5 would require some human interaction regarding what
exactly should be done.
My questions are:

1. Is this the approach that other people are taking?
2. Are there any alternatives?
3. Will "Namespace Transition Support" provide this
functionality?
4. When might NTS be available?

Thanks

Loris

begin:vcard
fn:Tom Barton
n:Barton;Tom
org:University of Chicago;Networking Services & Information Technologies
email;internet:
title:Sr. Director for Integration
tel;work:+1 773 834 1700
version:2.1