grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] xml-import errors

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] xml-import errors

  • From: graham <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc: , "Pytel,G" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] xml-import errors
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:11:45 +0100

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
Hi Graham,

I think the password problem occurs because of the way loadAttributes works in JNDISourceAdapter:

Set values = new HashSet();
for (NamingEnumeration en = attr.getAll(); en.hasMore(); ) {
String value = (String) en.next();
values.add(value);
}

You could try:

Object value = en.next();
values.add(value.toString());

I've tried that with no joy. I believe the problem is coming from deeper than that; grouper_ui.log now shows:

2008-05-21 15:09:50,778 ERROR actions.GrouperCapableAction: < GrouperSystem 8EE00CF9611428E6F16E8E6AD76F3AA1-0008 9b243998-d62a-4e7c-9e43-6bd37159fccb GrouperSystem g:isa > java.lang.ClassCastException: [B
at edu.internet2.middleware.subject.provider.JNDISourceAdapter.loadAttributes(Unknown Source)
at edu.internet2.middleware.subject.provider.JNDISubject.getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.ui.actions.PopulateSubjectSummaryAction.grouperExecute(PopulateSubjectSummaryAction.java:362)
at edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.ui.actions.GrouperCapableAction$1.callback(GrouperCapableAction.java:206)
at edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.internal.dao.hib3.Hib3TransactionDAO$1.callback(Hib3TransactionDAO.java:46)

and I think the issue is actually with getAttributes() trying to retrieve an inappropriate value from a Map: the javadoc for Map says (unhelpfully):

"Attempting to insert an ineligible key or value throws an unchecked exception, typically NullPointerException or ClassCastException. Attempting to query the presence of an ineligible key or value may throw an exception, or it may simply return false; some implementations will exhibit the former behavior and some will exhibit the latter."

If that's what's generating my ClassCastException I need to block the ineligible value from getting into the Map in the first place, rather than tracking down the places where the value is extracted.

But if that's so I can't see why no-one else would have run into this problem before - surely everyone has passwords in their LDAP directories? I'm inserting mine into Fedora-DS in an ldif file like so:

userPassword: {SHA}Va8gQV6tDd1Bfzf6kaTHZ7dK7jQ=

Other applications seem happy to accept this format (ldapsearch simply does not display the password field, JXPlorer displays the password field name with '(non string data)' in the value field. Shibboleth works using the password).

Graham