grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] null dto in class edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperSession error.

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] null dto in class edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperSession error.

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Sanjay Vivek <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] null dto in class edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperSession error.
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:18:34 -0500

The jdbc_ncl source config declares, in part,

select
subject.subjectid as id, subject.name as name,
lfnamet.lfname as lfname, loginidt.loginid as loginid,
desct.description as description

So the name of the attribute attached to a Subject object is 'id' rather than 'subjectId'. Hence,

<source-subject-name-map source="jdbc_ncl"
subject-attribute="subjectId" />

should be

<source-subject-name-map source="jdbc_ncl"
subject-attribute="id" />

And although a corresponding change might be made to the <source-subject-identifiers> element, a look over your config files makes me wonder if it should instead be

<source-subject-identifiers>
<source-subject-identifier source="jdbc_ncl"
subject-attribute="loginid" >
<ldap-search base="ou=people,dc=ncl,dc=ac,dc=uk"
scope="subtree_scope"
filter="(uid={0})" />
</source-subject-identifier>
</source-subject-identifiers>

Ie, is the 'loginid' attribute in your jdbc source the same as the 'uid'
attribute for the corresponding Subject in LDAP? If so, that's how you want to tell Ldappc to identify jdbc-presented Subjects with their LDAP-presented counterparts. But if your subjectId is really the uid value, then make subject-attribute="id".

You might still get a "null dto" error even if the provisioning worked correctly - that bug has been noted.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Sanjay Vivek wrote:
Hi everyone,

This issue has been raised before but unfortunately I'm stuck at this
point. I'm getting the following error when I run ldappc:

FATAL ErrorLog:
[edu.internet2.middleware.ldappc.LdappcGrouperProvisioner] Grouper
Provision Failed: null dto in class
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperSession
A FATAL ERROR occurred when running Ldappc. Check error log file, correct the problem, and resubmit.

I've attached both my sources.xml and ldappc.xml with this email (with
passwords omitted).

I believe the main sticking point is the <source-subject-identifiers>
element in ldappc.xml. Our primary source of NCL subjects is JDBC, and
we would like to configure that as the source from which to present
subjects to Grouper (and ldappc). As shown below, the
<source-subject-identifiers> element identifies for each Subject source
how the provisioner locates the directory entry for a given Subject.
There is a "subjectId" column in our Subjects table in the "jdbc-ncl"
source. However, the <source-subject-identifiers> element is configured
to locate the Subject's directory entry from a LDAP source and not a
JDBC source. How do I go about configuring <source-subject-identifiers>
element to locate the Subject's directory entry from a JDBC source
instead? Any insight would be helpful. Cheers.

<source-subject-identifiers>
<source-subject-identifier source="jdbc_ncl"
subject-attribute="subjectId" >
<ldap-search base="ou=people,dc=ncl,dc=ac,dc=uk" scope="subtree_scope" filter="(uid={0})" />
</source-subject-identifier>
</source-subject-identifiers>

Regards
Sanjay Vivek