grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Ldap import data from grouper fail

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Ldap import data from grouper fail

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Allen Chen <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Ldap import data from grouper fail
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:43:20 -0500

Allen Chen wrote:
> >Is there a limited pool of port numbers higher than 1024 available on
> >the machine running ldappc? What OS is the ldappc host running?
> The ldappc host is running on windows. The
> port numbers higher than 1024 is available on the pc I worked on.
>
> In fact, what makes me confused is the following error:
>
> Ldap NamingException: 192.168.23.11:389
> >> javax.naming.CommunicationException: 192.168.23.11:389[Root exception
> is
> >> java.net.BindException: Address already in use: connect]
>
> where 192.168.23.11:389 is the address of ldap server.Is there
> something wrong with the server?

Possibly. I don't know whether this error reflects inability to form a
connection because the server (your LDAP server) refuses to accept
another connection, or because the client has no more open ports
available. A quick peruse on the net for the deeper meaning of this java
error message does not indicate which of the two possibilities is the
cause of this message.

There are several ways to debug this. I'd probably use a protocol
analyzer like ethereal running on the client to look at the TCP
connection handshake - that should clearly identify which end, server or
client, is the source of the error condition. If you have access to the
LDAP server's LDAP logs, and if those logs record sufficient detail, you
might be able to tell that way.

Tom