grouper-users - Hello from Jean Marie

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Hello from Jean Marie

  • From: THIA Jean-Marie <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Hello from Jean Marie
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:06:24 +0200
  • Accept-language: fr-FR
  • Acceptlanguage: fr-FR

Hello,

My name is Jean Marie THIA and I work in the IT division of Université Pierre et Marie CURIE located in Paris – France. I am working on the management of our courses groups and it seems that Grouper offers all the functionality that we need for not only courses groups but also for all our groups. I am also involved in authorization management and after a quick watch at Signet, it seems that I found the ‘tool’ I was looking for.

But, there is always a but…

I am not sure how to begin in naming stems and groups for our courses. So if anyone have an idea or practice, I’ll be glad to have starting point.

The second point is the provisioning of groups and member’s list. There is a Java API, but I am not familiar with Java, and anyway my application is written in C# and use the .net framework. This framework use a membership and a role provider to handle membership and group manipulation and query. So I can write these providers to enable any .net application in using Grouper, but I have to talk to the Java API and the best way for this is a web service. So my question is about the availability of a web service enabled API.

A third question, as I have a very poor experience with Java. Is the membership controlled ? When a group member list is provisioned is there any form of control with the existence of the member. And if yes, may all the members be in an LDAP Directory.

Regards

Jean Marie THIA

Université Pierre et Marie CURIE
4 place Jussieu