grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Trying to get QuickStart working

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Trying to get QuickStart working

  • From: Curt Blank <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Trying to get QuickStart working
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:15:04 -0600

Thank you for this! Very informative. Gives me a path to go down, I will give it all a try.

-Curt

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:

--On 22 January 2007 15:09 -0600 Curt Blank

I'm trying to get QuickStart working and this is frustrating. I follow
the instructions provided but I can't get it to work. I am no java or
tomcat expert so that probably has a lot to do with it.

What versions of Java, Ant and Tomcat are you using?

It seems to be doing something I connect to http://localhost:8080/grouper
and it takes me to http://localhost:8080/grouper/populateIndex.do but
then I get a white screen and a Done. I look at the page source and I
have this:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

<!--start:/WEB-INF/jsp/template.jsp-->

<!--init-->

Do you get any error in the Tomcat logs e.g. catlina.out?

In httpd.conf I put this:

# <IfModule \!mod_jk.c>
LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
# </IfModule>
# JkWorkersFile "/usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "/var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log"
JkLogLevel emerg
JkMount /grouper/* ajp13

I had to comment out the IfModule(s) otherwise it wouldn't load. And if I
don't comment out 'JkWorkersFile
"/usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk/workers.properties"' apache won't start. I
don't know if I need that for QuickStart but the instructions don't
address it either way and if I need a workers.properties where does it
come from?

In a production environment it is quite likely you would place Apache in front of Tomcat and use mod_jk, however, in order to get the QuickStart to work you don't need to do anything with Apache or mod_jk - you can connect to Tomcat directly.

I'm also still getting this when I try to stop HSQLDB:

[java] Exception in thread "HSQLDB Connection @1b543c88"

This is a direct consequence of using Telnet to shutdown the database. I've never tried doing it this way before.

The QuickStart build file also has a 'dbgui' target which will load a simple database manager ui which lets you query the database, and also shut it down. If you can't do this directly on the machine where the database is installed i.e. no X windows capability, you can connect from a 'desktop' machine by changing the localhost in the URL below:

<java dir="." classname="org.hsqldb.util.DatabaseManager" classpathref="db.class.path" fork="true">
<arg line="-url jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost:9001"/>

This is all extremely frustrating when you follow the instructions and it
doesn't work. Granted being unfamiliar with java and tomcat doesn't help
and I think I have the jk connector installed properly, but the
instructions should take this into account that people not familiar with
all these components will be asked to install this.

I hear your frustration, and the QuickStart is supposed to make it easy to get started specifically to avoid such frustration - and it generally seems to achieve this.

If there is no error in the Tomcat log, I will try and come up with a 'patch' which will produce some diagnostic output. It looks like the error is occurring during initialisation before any Grouper / Subject API calls are made.

In addition you could send me your WAR file + the contents of grouper-qs/grouper/conf and I'll take a look at them to see if I can spot anything.

-Curt Blank

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing