grouper-users - Trying to get QuickStart working

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Trying to get QuickStart working

  • From: Curt Blank <>
  • To: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Trying to get QuickStart working
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:09:33 -0600

I'm trying to get QuickStart working and this is frustrating. I follow the instructions provided but I can't get it to work. I am no java or tomcat expert so that probably has a lot to do with it.

It seems to be doing something I connect to http://localhost:8080/grouper and it takes me to http://localhost:8080/grouper/populateIndex.do but then I get a white screen and a Done. I look at the page source and I have this:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

<!--start:/WEB-INF/jsp/template.jsp-->

<!--init-->

In httpd.conf I put this:

#<IfModule \!mod_jk.c>
LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
#</IfModule>
#JkWorkersFile "/usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "/var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log"
JkLogLevel emerg
JkMount /grouper/* ajp13

I had to comment out the IfModule(s) otherwise it wouldn't load. And if I don't comment out 'JkWorkersFile "/usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk/workers.properties"' apache won't start. I don't know if I need that for QuickStart but the instructions don't address it either way and if I need a workers.properties where does it come from?

I'm also still getting this when I try to stop HSQLDB:

[java] Exception in thread "HSQLDB Connection @1b543c88" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

This is all extremely frustrating when you follow the instructions and it doesn't work. Granted being unfamiliar with java and tomcat doesn't help and I think I have the jk connector installed properly, but the instructions should take this into account that people not familiar with all these components will be asked to install this.

-Curt Blank