grouper-users - Re: how to apply grouper in our university

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: how to apply grouper in our university

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: "??" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: how to apply grouper in our university
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:32:39 +0100

Hi aifei,

Regards,

Gary

--On 19 October 2006 10:32 +0800 "??"

hi,Gary
I have succeeded to deploy the grouper with your help .now I want to
apply it to manage the groups information of our university. But I'm not
sure how to organize the groups of the university.Could you give me some
sugguests or tell me how the other university to organize the groups.
such as some shemas? by the way ,
There isn't, as yet, much experience with real world deployments. A number of universities are currently evaluating Grouper and some are doing large scale tests. In practice I think structure will vary a lot between organisations, but I hope that we will be able to solicit some case studies at the forthcoming CAMP in November. The intent would not be to say, definitively, this is how you should do it, but to illustrate how it can be used and to explain how 'local issues' have been tackled.

I expect one of the main differences between universities will be the depth of the hierarchy. Some will try to mirror their organisational and course hierarchies whilst others will use fairly flat hierarchies. At Bristol I think we will use the first approach
the first ,the grouper-ui runs slow and use the default configure of
the enhace.xml.
Would you give more details? Have you changed the cache settings and improved performance, or are there particular screens which are slow?
second,the subject searching does not support the bacth
data. for example,there are three persons which uid is test,test1,test2.
I must input 'test2' to search the test2 subject.In fact I hope to input
'test' and list three subjects or I input '*' to list all subjects and
batch to add the subjects to a group.
I assume you are using the 'default' JDBCSourceAdapter. It is, in fact, possible to configure the queries this adapter uses in sources.xml - look for:

<search>
<searchType>search</searchType>
<param>
<param-name>sql</param-name>
<param-value>

Historically, the first implementation, was geared towards searching a field set up as 'lastname, firstname'. That isn't a requirement, and the default query in the Subject API distribution is much simpler than the one distributed with the last QuickStart. I'll have a look at this today/tomorrow as I'll be preparing a new QuickStart, and try and send you some SQL which will match your requirements.

regards!

aifei

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing