grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Problem deleting a group

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Problem deleting a group

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Problem deleting a group
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 09:44:58 -0500

Kathryn Huxtable wrote:
Okay, I can now answer these questions (mostly).

The version of gsh I have doesn't report whether a membership is direct or
indirect, but it *does* list the indirect members. No, gsh cannot delete the
group.

Here's a gsh script that lists immediate (aka direct) members of a group named 'a:group:name':

subj = findSubject("aSubjectId")
sess = GrouperSession.start(subj)
grp = GroupFinder.findByName(sess, "a:group:name")
grp.getImmediateMembers()

I am attaching the export from my structure. The subjectID values are
integers. They are Oracle sequence numbers from my directory.

I only find a single group element in that xml, not the more complex subgroup structure you mentioned earlier. I don't think there's enough info to reconstruct the problem. Could you take another swing at it? Perhaps the following would include the right set of elements:

ant xml-export -Dcmd="-name ku:is:it:idms backup.xml"

I'm going to go ahead and manually delete these...

-K

On 9/1/06 9:46 AM, "Tom Barton"

Kathryn,

What does gsh report for the direct membership of the group? And can gsh
delete the group?

Before trying to delete the group, can you export the relevant part(s)
of your groups registry and send that along to enable that particular
group structure to be built elsewhere and see if the problem can be
reproduced?

Tom

Kathryn Huxtable wrote:
I had a group containing several groups as direct members. Each of those
groups contained a selection of (overlapping) subjects as direct members and
several contained a different group as direct members. That different group
contained a set of subjects as direct members.

I tried to delete it in the UI by clicking the "Delete Group" button. It
said that the group could not be deleted.

Listing the members reveals that there are a bunch of indirect members and
no direct members.

I don't think that should be possible, so it's probably a bug in the API.

I can manually delete the grouper_membership records, of course, but this is
a serious problem.

I haven't yet looked at the source...

-K