grouper-users - First thoughts on an LDAP provisioner for Grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

First thoughts on an LDAP provisioner for Grouper

  • From: Keith Hazelton <>
  • To:
  • Subject: First thoughts on an LDAP provisioner for Grouper
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:09:27 -0600

Here are my initial approaches to a possbile LDAP provisioner that maps Grouper information into an LDAP server. I'm hoping that Walter will come up with a provisioning framework that supercedes or incorporates anything useful here. Comments welcome.

To provision grouper information into LDAP in a periodic diff mode:

- Iterate over subjects
- Compute subject's effective memberships
- Read subject's isMemberOf values from target LDAP server
(fast&cheap)
- Compute diffs in isMemberOf value list from the two sources
- Construct & execute ldapmodify to update LDAP & remove diffs
If populating hasMember, too:

- Iterate over groups
- Compute group's direct and effective members
- Read group's hasMember values from target LDAP server
- Compute diffs in hasMember value list from the two sources
- Construct & execute ldapmodify to update LDAP & remove diffs

Keith Hazelton Senior IT Architect, UW-Madison
(608) 262-0771 Division of Info. Technology
(608) 877-0977 (home) 1210 W. Dayton St., rm. 2164
http://arch.doit.wisc.edu/keith Madison, WI 53706