grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] last modified time for stems and members ?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] last modified time for stems and members ?

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] last modified time for stems and members ?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:17:55 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 10/14/11 11:19 AM, "Tom Zeller"

>Stems and members do not have a last modified time like groups, correct ?

Groups have a few different timestamps. There's modify_time which tells
you when the group object itself was last modified - name change, display
name change, description change, etc.. Groups also have
last_membership_change which tells you when a membership or privilege was
last added or deleted from the group. And then there's
last_imm_membership_change which is similar but for immediate memberships
and privileges only.

Stems have a modify_time which is similar to groups. They also have
last_membership_change, which tells you when a privilege was last added or
deleted from the stem. I'm guessing this is not what you want.

So are you looking for membership changes only? So if a membership is
added to a group that's within a stem (scope = sub), then are you
considering that stem to be modified? How about attribute changes? For
instance, an attribute may be added within a stem. Or an attribute value
may be added to an assignment on a membership that's in a group within a
stem.

Similarly, are you considering a member to be modified only if it was
added or removed from a group? Again, how about attributes?

>There is a provisioning option to select groups that have been
>modified since some point in time. If I wanted to select stems and
>members that have been modified since some point in time, I would need
>to enumerate child groups or memberships and check each associated
>group for the last modified time, right ?

So depending on what exactly you're looking for, this may work to find
modified stems. Though I don't see what you mean about looking at the
last modified time of a group to get the last time a member was modified -
I may not be reading that correctly.

It's possible that using the point in time data may help (I can add
methods to the API) again depending on what exactly you're looking for.

Thanks!

-- Shilen