grouper-dev - RE: subject API changes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: subject API changes

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: subject API changes
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:40:20 -0700 (PDT)

1.       LDAP vs SQL:   SQL can select 1000 subjects in 10 queries.  If LDAP
can do that, lets do it.  If not, lets not.  Note that in optimizing
the Grouper UI performance problems, I agree with Gary that there is a lot of
value in caching subjects, I will look into this as well.

I was just noting that ldap doesn't have any sorting capability, and its
syntax is a bit awkward for lists of ids. But I am going to investigate the
efficiency or serial requests versus batched ones.

3.       What features grouper should have:  grouper should have a way to
return a page of members sorted by name or description of a group of
small or medium size.  We do that in the grouper UI, and we have a way to do
that in the API. We should add to WS, and we should make it more
efficient if we can (in SQL sources) so we can increase the limit of where it
is available

As log as the sorting is option I agree that it is a good improvement.

What would really help me though is to get the members of a group sorted by SubjectId.
maybe "getMembersSorted()". Right now I have to use Collections sort. A
sort in the database would be quicker.

Jim