grouper-dev - Re: subject API changes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: subject API changes

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Jim Fox <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: subject API changes
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:48:13 -0700

If you have 1000 subjects in a group, and you want to show the first 50 on the screen, and the thing you are sorting by is in the subject source, you have to get them all, and sort.  If we were dealing with one source at a time we could add paging/sorting in the subject source, but you could have a group with members from several sources.

It would depend on the UI whether or not subjects can be  separated by source.  In any case, LDAP never sorts anything.  My feeling still is that if I'm dealing with a browser user I'm better off not presenting so many subjects.  The ones I do show I can sort myself.  If 'm dealing with a program client, well, it can do the sorting.

Jim