grouper-dev - RE: subject API changes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: subject API changes

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Jim Fox <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: subject API changes
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:05:48 -0400

> LDAP has limits that can be set on the server side. We have our people
> directory limited to 1500. But this parameter could be added. I
> generally think that any subject search result set of more than a
> hundred or so is a failure of the UI.

Then I suggest you set the server side to X. And have a param in the jndi
source where the max would be set to X-1. So if X was returned, you could
detect it in the jndi source and ask the user to narrow the search. Or you
could do what you do.

> LDAP could get them a few at a time. Don't know how much more
> efficient that would be.
>
> How does this help with sorting though?

If you have 1000 subjects in a group, and you want to show the first 50 on
the screen, and the thing you are sorting by is in the subject source, you
have to get them all, and sort. If we were dealing with one source at a time
we could add paging/sorting in the subject source, but you could have a group
with members from several sources.