grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] secure Shibboleth - Grouper integration

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] secure Shibboleth - Grouper integration

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "Michael A. Grady" <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] secure Shibboleth - Grouper integration
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 22:38:47 -0400

Thank you everyone for your interest in this discussion, and excuse my Shib
ignorance.

Let me frame this topic a little better.

Again, we would like the IdP administrator not to have to make changes for
each SP who needs a different group released (as attribute or entitlement),
and we would like that group not to be released to all SP's, only the one(s)
who need it.

I picture the people who would want to expose memberships are application
developers/integrators, who are building applications, integrating with shib
as an SP, and creating/admining some groups (used as roles) for the
application. I had hoped they could expose their group information to their
own SP, and it is safe and private.

But, since this doesn't seem convenient to do in Shib, we are going down a
path that was criticized at the educause CAMP where group-admins in grouper
can mark groups as shib-enabled or not. If shib-enabled, then all
penn-internal SP's will see the membership. We will not have a way to mark a
group as shib enabled for non-Penn SP's.

It just seems that with this, SP admins might decide that using Shib is
easier that using shib and figuring out how to be a grouper ldap or web
service client, and might make a group public when it shouldn't be (for
convenience sake). Though our documentation will say that exposing groups in
Shib is only for membership data which is not sensitive.

I had thought putting memberships in shib attributes/entitlements would make
things easier for application developers, and could be done securely, and
without central administrative work, but maybe they shouldn't be used the way
I had hoped.

If anyone wants to discuss this offline at the member meeting in San Antonio,
I would be interested.