grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] lite ui

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] lite ui

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] lite ui
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:02:03 -0500

This looks very promising!

One of my beliefs about group or access management UIs is that oftentimes they will be successful only when they're suitably integrated into the application's context. In these cases it should be about the app and handled there, rather than being about groups and handled elsewhere. Occasionally that will require sophisticated integration with the grouper back end using web services, but fairly often the access management need is pretty simple, involving a single group or small set of groups.

This view motivates two questions. First, can the lite UI open already focused on a group given in the URL? Eg, https://groupsLiteUI.example.edu/astem:agroup would open it up on that group?

Second, can stuff be associated with a group that the Lite UI displays when rendering the group? I have in mind a page title, maybe a logo, alternate terms for "members" and maybe other group-specific terms that are better suited to the application's context, maybe a note box or brief instruction about what the user should do here in this screen, helping to make the workflow in this screen blend in with the app from which they came. Stuff like that, probably kept as attributes of the group.

Or should capabilities like these be supported by some other UI component that we don't have yet?

Tom

Chris Hyzer wrote:
Hey,

OK, I am done with the lite UI (well, not really, but Im time-boxing here).
I have a few small issues, and I will launch to experimental prod at Penn.
Please see the latest movie about it:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/download/attachments/4588063/groupUpdateLiteUi2.avi

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+update+memberships+lite+UI

There are some exciting features that are good for this UI, and will be good
for other screens we make in grouper (components can be re-used).

Some new things include:

Ajax menus (dhtmlx)
Advanced options (hidden in a menu to reduce clutter)
Member options (show member info, hidden in menu to reduce clutter)
Multi-delete (like current UI)
Export subject IDs as CSV
Export all subject info as CSV
Import (add new subjects, bulk add), as CSV or list of subjectIds etc
Import (replace existing members), as CSV or list of subjectIds etc
Filter Group members: this doesn't really exist in the current API, and we can add in 1.5. This is a useful feature to search large group lists for people
Reusing the current UI's nav.properties and media.properties

Regards,