grouper-dev - group specific help

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

group specific help

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: group specific help
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:14:52 -0400

Hey,

I opened this feature request, any thoughts?

A couple of people at CAMP wondered how people know in grouper what the
effects of assigning to users to groups or assigning grouper privileges would
have. i.e. there are tons of groups and privileges, and maybe an admin has
permission to assign lots of things, but what are the exact things the person
should do to assign access?

I think we could have a very simple way to handle this, and could be a
built-in 2nd generation attribute... It could be an attribute which could be
on groups or attributes, which holds some text (currently the limit is 4k...
maybe that is an issue, or we could suggest putting some text and a link
there). Then anyone who has "update" or "admin" privileges on that group or
attribute would see that attribute's value in the help screen in the UI for
example...

The end result would be when someone logs in who has access to make updates,
and they click on the help button in the UI, they will see institution
specific help based on what they have access to do, potentially with links to
more documentation.

I wonder if wheel group members would see all help text... leaning in that
direction...

Thoughts?
Chris

Ps. This is not a high priority... but seems like it could be a quick win if
we have time / inclination...