grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-users] delegated subject source

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-users] delegated subject source

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] delegated subject source
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:22:17 -0400

This is an old thread (ability for people with CREATE in a folder to create
subjects in that folder), but something that is on my long-term feature list
to discuss again. Just wanted to register that on the paccman call today,
there was talk about assigning privileges to IP ranges (e.g. for a library).
Granted that is not high on the priority list for privilege management with
grouper, but I was thinking that if a library admin could have a subject
space to create ip addresses, they could assign privileges to that subject
(which represents an IP range), and the decision point would need to be wired
(e.g. with hook) to do some IP math.

To assign something to a new IP range, the library admin could make a subject:

school:library:subjects:ipRanges:123.45.0.0/16

Then could assign a privilege to that subject. The decision point would get
a call:

Does subject school:library:subjects:ipRanges:123.45.1.2/32 have edit
privilege on school:library:permissions:wiki:schools:engineering?

The decision point would need a hook which would basically need to not
resolve school:library:subjects:ipRanges:123.45.1.2/32 as a subject, since it
most likely wont be there. It would need to do something like, cycle through
all subjects who have this privilege, and see if the requested subject is in
one of those ipranges...

Anyways, just wanted to get this idea documented in case we ever discuss this
feature of subjects in the grouper namespace... :)

  • RE: [grouper-users] delegated subject source, Chris Hyzer, 06/25/2009