grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: Tom Barton <>, "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:39:40 -0500

> So, Chris, you're saying just store the subject 'name' along with their id in grouper ?

Their ID is already in grouper_members, so yes, I propose adding the name, description, and sort_string (e.g. to_lower of name, or whatever site picks)

> perhaps with some ttl ?

I think a time-to-live is an interesting idea.  I was originally thinking we would refresh all on an interval, so we don’t worry about TTL, but we could consider that as well.  I don’t think it should ever clear out if the TTL runs out and the subject is unresolvable (could be useful to have this info for unresolvables)

> and don't fret if a subject's name changes between refreshes of a UI page ?

Well, I was thinking it was only for query purpose, and maybe to display the 50, it would go back to subject api.  Though maybe this is an option.  But yes, if you go back to subject API, and all the sudden it is not sorted exactly correctly, then don’t fret, or resort, and maybe there is an  outlier.

> and maybe not 'name' but whatever the UI is configured to display ?

Yes

Regards,

Chris