grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:06:56 +0000

--On 25 February 2009 09:39 -0500 Chris Hyzer

If there were an immediate membership count on the group object updated
when memberships are changed, the UI and other clients could adapt
their
behaviour and try not to do 'silly' things like list 60K of members.

Or we could just do a count(*) before selecting all,
I was trying to avoid the extra query given the size of the membership table though indexes may make it quick enough
or only select with
limit... hibernate has nice paging built in
We could configure a maximum membership size for the UI - we'd want to show when it had been reached and possibly

Sounds like the sort of thing Signet does. Could get quite big. What
about
having an extra Subject method - getSortString? The value would be
stashed
in the Member table - along with the time it was last verified (then
you
can configure the value to be verified and updated if the time of
retrieval
is more than, say, an hour since the last check)

As long as each query always sorts by the same string, Im good with it
That was the idea - it is up to the Subject implementation to specify the sort string. It could be changed and the new values would ripple through. We could extend JDBC and JNDI source adapter configuration to allow one or more attributes to be used as the sort string.

I like the idea of indexing grouper attributes this way and adding to
the
current query filters. Not sure about Subjects. My take would be that
Sources ought to be able to do the searching, sorting and paging you
need.
We can extend the Subject API to take advantage of such features, or
sources can emulate them, but we shouldn't have Grouper specific stuff.

The problem is we want one list based on many sources. Also, I think
LDAP doesn't have good support for a sorting and paged query, but maybe
I am wrong.
LDAP isn't my strong point. I see the point about searching groups and subjects as one index

When xml-importing, it might be nice to have
Source.getAllSubjectsAndCache() and store Subjects in memory to avoid
'many' lookups. Retrieving Subjects using a configurable size, e.g.
getSubjects(Set members, int batchsize), might also be helpful.

I think a method in a source to get all would do the trick. However, can
this be done easily from LDAP? I thought there were limits and such...
Limits are configurable and may depend on the bind account. Tom B. has always been against a 'slurp' method, but it could be optional.

Regards,
Chris

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing