grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] subject attribute cache?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:01:28 -0600

Chris Hyzer wrote:
When xml-importing, it might be nice to have
Source.getAllSubjectsAndCache() and store Subjects in
memory to avoid 'many' lookups. Retrieving Subjects using a
configurable size, e.g. getSubjects(Set
members, int batchsize), might also be helpful.
I think a method in a source to get all would do the trick.

Thinking more about it, I wouldn’t want all subjects in memory (well,
I don’t not want that), but I need them in the DB so Hibernate can do
a sorted paged query on them and not bring back everyone... but the
same concept, getAllSubjects, put in DB... :) I think we are back to
the members table having a bit more data... at least name,
description, sortField... which is updated periodically, and which is
not the system of record.

How an application should integrate with "identity services" remains wild country these days. I'm keenly interested to see how far we can take the Subject API approach to meeting identification needs of applications like grouper. I hope we'll discover that it's not always necessary to replicate Subject data into app-specific DBs to get reasonable integration.

If we know how the Subject API should be enhanced to provide better support for "batch" type operations, I'd very much like to enhance it.