grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] auto-creating "include" and "exclude" groups based on group type hook

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] auto-creating "include" and "exclude" groups based on group type hook

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Loris Bennett <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] auto-creating "include" and "exclude" groups based on group type hook
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:02:21 -0400

> I bet that when people want to use such a capability, there's a whole
> hierarchy of groups they want it done to, not just a single group. Is
> the loader amenable to a style of configuration in which a single set
> of declarations can apply to an entire hierarchy or system of groups?
> Eg, maybe it applies to all groups maintained from a specific SoR.

Well, not really, but we could explore it... I think a GSH command might also
do the trick, if someone can give me an exact use case I can try to work it
out...
Maybe the following could be done without a group type hook (though in
UI/loader it is more useful to have group type and hook), for GSH, just a:

gsh 1% convertToIncludeExcludeGroups("penn:courses:%",
convertToIncludeExcludeGroups.INTERACTIVE);

Create include and exclude groups for this group? penn:courses:course123
(y/n): y
Create include and exclude groups for this group? penn penn:courses:course124
(y/n): y
Create include and exclude groups for this group? penn
penn:courses:math:course125 (y/n): n
Create include and exclude groups for this group? penn penn:courses:course126
(y/n): y

gsh 2% convertToIncludeExcludeGroups("penn:orgs:org%:orgGroup%");
The following groups were converted:
penn:orgs:org123:orgGroupA
penn:orgs:org124:orgGroupB
penn:orgs:org126:orgGroupC